Monday, July 07, 2008

The Disadvantages of having a doctor for a mother

I haven't had much time to blog recently, and I don't really have anything original to say today. I did come across an interesting post, via Kevin MD, on the Mothers in Medicine blog. In the post "Second generation", a mother/resident discusses her current situation and how it was like for her to grow up as a child of a doctor:

"I really adored my nanny (who coincidentally had the same first name as my mother), and that was a good thing since she was the adult I spent the most time with."

Every day when I leave in the morning, she reaches out for me and cries. And I think to myself, "What kind of mother am I to leave her like this?" But when I go to work, I’m earning the money that pays the rent and building a career that hopefully someday she’ll be proud of.

No comments: