Saturday, August 04, 2007

The AMA is Threatening me






I recently received the following letter from the Mississippi State Medical Association, Central Medical Society (the branch of the American Medical Association covering central Mississippi):






July 18, 2007





Michael J. Rack, M.D.


1006 Treetops Boulevard


Suite 2


Flowood, MS 39232





Dear Doctor Rack:





2007 is well underway and we have not yet received your membership dues. Our records show that you have not paid your local, state, or AMA dues for 2007. I'm sure this is just an oversight, so please use the enclosed envelope to send your check right away. Pease make your check payable to Mississippi State Medical Association.





According to the MSMA Bylaws, physicians who have not paid annual dues by April 1 forfeit membership privileges and must be removed from the membership roster. Membership in the Mississippi Physician (its actually, plural -Physicians, but I have tried to reproduce the letter as closely as possible) Care Network (MPCN) is also in jeopardy.





MSMA continues working to protect the doctor-patient relationship and to enhance the climate in which physicians practice. I encourage you to continue your membership by remitting your dues right away, beause together we are stronger.





Sincerely,





William M. Grantham, M.D.


President


________________________________________________________________


Return this portion with your dues





2007 REQUIRED DUES





Central Medical Society $90.00


MSMA Dues $450.00


AMA Dues $ 300.00


_______





Total Required Dues $840.00





2007 OPTIONAL DUES





MMPAC/AMPAC $150.00


Alliance Dues $90.00


________





Total Optional Dues $240.00








Total Required and Optional Dues $1080.00








The AMA is threatening me with loss of provider status in a key local insurance network, the Mississippi Physicians Care Network (MPCN), if I do not send $840 to the AMA. I will not give in to this corrupt organization. I will probably drop out of the MPCN, though I believe I have the option of sending an amount roughly equivalent to the $840 AMA fee to the MPCN to stay in their network. I would rather that the MPCN get my money than the AMA. I don't give in to extortion. This is one less physician that the tools in the AMA will be representing.

8 comments:

scalpel said...

They'll still probably send you JAMA, for whatever that's worth.

I dropped my AMA membership 10 years ago, but I still get JAMA every week.

Anonymous said...

They should be more ashamed than this top police officer.

Michael Rack, MD said...

Anon:

interesting link

I guess women love a man in uniform.

Anonymous said...

Drs. Rack, Scalpel, et al:

MAY [Y]OUR TRIBE GROW!!!
Please, more refuse to be sold-out by these jokes of organizations...

5 yrs out of AMA/ 2 yrs out of ACP

Anonymous said...

Oh no...a police officer who was responsible for 20 juniors...did this... You are right Michael...LOL...

Unknown said...

Good for you! I wouldn't send in the fees either.

Anonymous said...

I am also being threatened. I went to a sleep clinic for treatment and before any services were rendered, I asked that they verify my coverage. They said it was covered. Now I'm being sued because it wasn't covered. I din't blame you for being pissed.

Bennet said...

Wow, there is so much effective info above!
low iron | nails games | used furniture Toronto