Sunday, December 31, 2006

What not to put on a CV


I received an e-mail today from someone applying for a sleep fellowship at the local university (I briefly held the position of sleep fellowship program director before I left the university in 2005). The following was included in the applicant's cv:

HONORS AND AWARDS:

2006- Selected in
Strathmore’s Who’s Who
Strathmore’s Who’s Who publishes annual registry of outstanding professionals based on one’s position and accomplishments. Inclusion is limited to individuals who have demonstrated leadership and achievement in their occupation, industry or profession.

2006- Selected in
Marquis Who’s Who in the world
Marquis Who’s Who publishes annual directory of leading citizens from all over the world in different professions.

Lucky for him I am no longer program director, I would have just deleted his application. I forwarded his application to the current program director.

Some foreign medical graduates do not realize that these Who's Who books are just scams in which your brief biography is published in hopes that you will spend a lot of money on the book. Do not put it on your cv.



No comments: